Wednesday, December 9, 2009

when do we say no?

I have recently read that it is good karma to be generous. I do believe it is so. After all "you attract that which you are" (Dr. Wayne Dyer). But, when it comes to children, when do you say no? If we want to keep the good vibes going in our personal lives we often show or generosity by giving money. But do we do this with our children? Regardless of economic times, indulging our children may not be good. A person needs to be shown how to do for themselves. We teach our children by example more than by giving them everything they ask for. If they see us giving to others they will do the same and most likely not expect you to do the same for them. I am generous with what I have and that is because I enjoy seeing other people happy. I love watching their faces light up when I do something or give something to someone. My kids are the same way. They give to their friends and family for the sheer pleasure of it. Do they ask me for everything under the sun? Yes. Do I indulge them all the time? No. This will not teach them how much I value them. I do celebrate good deeds with something they may need or want. They say "but I need money and its too hard for me to earn any." I encourage patience, saving their allowance, and not over spending. I do celebrate holidays and birthdays as a time to indulge them and make them feel special within my ability to do so. Rather I indulge them with my time, attention, and love. Sometimes I sit here for hours doing nothing but hanging around wondering if they even know I am here. But at the most odd times they want to talk. It comes as sudden as the wind and I am right there when they need me.

Moments are remembered my days. Indulgence in things is not needed. Give time, effort and humor. Your family will love you all the more and you will feel good too. My kids love the power they feel when they see their money grow. They have pride doing it themselves and that is just as import then just giving it to them.

Bless this day.

Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment