Monday, May 4, 2009

What do we Value?

I have over this past week come to realize that I have not always been a good friend. I have come to see my shortcomings. Not being compassionate enough when friends were hurting for example. Or not making the phone call to say "I'm sorry" or "How can I help". My boy friend's Mother died last Sunday and his family has been reacting in a way I have never seen. All of them divided over something. Even the smallest detail like weather or not to print an Obituary or have a service or to not be cold hearted about her things but just throwing them away. Not remembering what she valued and showing care for those things. For me this is terrible to hear and see. I don't want that for me.

I value life, or so I think. I have noticed that when it comes to my own family I have been too hard headed at times. When it comes to friends, I have sometimes put my own needs, small as they were at times, ahead of theirs. I could have made a small gesture to show my concern. But did not. This bothers me. I do care greatly. I want to show my care and understanding. I value life I think and see the good in all people but I also see the bad and often judge people harshly. My intention is always to educate but its not my place to impart my opinion so I don't. But if you ask me my opinion, I will tell you. Like it or not.

I remember feeling guilty recently when I look back and think about the times I have fallen short on the compassion part for several people I know who lost a parent or loved one. I see my shortcoming. I hope to not repeat the mistakes of my past. I wish to remember this experience and be loving to all from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment